At Haughton St Giles we believe in equality and fairness for our children in all things. Our uniform policy reflects our belief in equality: we ask children to wear school uniform so that all children have the same status, regardless of their clothes.
Our school colours for uniform are red, grey and white. The choices for uniform are listed below. Parents should feel free to work with their child to choose the right uniform items for their child’s needs.
- Grey school trousers, grey skirt, grey pinafore, grey tailored shorts or grey culottes
- White polo shirt for children in Nursery, Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 (some parents like to purchase these shirts from our school uniform supplier with an embroidered school logo but this is not a requirement of our policy and any white polo shirt is appropriate)
- White shirt (long/short sleeves depending on the season) for children in Years 3, 4, 5 and 6
- Red and grey striped tie for children in Years 3, 4, 5 and 6 (these can be purchased from the school office priced £3)
- Red and white checked dress or skirt and blouse combination or cullotte suit (the top and skirt must both be checked, the dress must be totally made of checked fabric. The collar may be checked or plain white)
- V-neck red cardigan, V-neck red sweatshirt or V-neck red jumper (some parents like to purchase these items from our school uniform supplier with an embroidered school logo but this is not a requirement of our policy and any red cardigan, jumper or sweatshirt is appropriate)
- Plain socks or plain tights in red, white, black or grey
- Black or red school shoes or sandals (no flip flop style sandals or sandals without ankle supports or straps.
- Children with long hair should have it tied back preferably with school coloured hair accessories.
- No jewellery or wrist bands to be worn to school other than stud earrings and/or watches. Children who have pierced ears must only wear earrings with a rounded stud as other types can be dangerous.
- Make up & nail varnish are not permitted.
Please help us to look after your child’s clothes by putting their name in each item. Children often mislay clothing and we have a better chance of returning it if your child’s name is shown clearly. Some parents like to have their child’s initials embroidered on polo shirts or cardigans, jumpers or sweatshirts by our school uniform supplier. Other parents make use of iron-in name tags or ‘Attach a Tag’ labels available on the Internet.
In the Summer months and early in the Autumn term, the children find it cooler in school when they are wearing tailored shorts and short sleeved shirt, checked dresses or a shirt and culottes rather than continuing to wear trousers. Sandals with socks may be worn in the Summer- we ask that children do not wear strapless sandals, they must have a strap over the top of the foot and around the heel.